With an unusually warm February come and gone, it's time to really start gearing up for spring! The official start of the season is on March 20th, but we're not waiting around to get to work in the studio! After the lull of winter, there are likely to be some chores that need doing to whip your creative space back into workable shape (I know mine is a horrid mess!), so we've made up a little checklist that might be helpful to you!
- Vacuum out the kiln: Unplug your kiln and use a hose attachment to carefully vacuum out debris from the bottom of your kiln. Don't touch the thermocouple! Static from the vacuum can damage it!
- Sweep the studio: Make sure to wear a respirator!
- Evaluate clay and glazes: Check your leftover clay and glazes, re-hydrate when necessary and pitch what isn't worth saving.
- Tidy the tools: Gather up tools from around the studio and get them cleaned and organized so you can hit the ground running!
- Refresh linens: Wash out your apron, throwing towels, rags, etc.