Mastering Hand Building
From pinch pots to coiled boxes to soft slab tableware, mastering hand building is a lifelong pursuit. In this book, Sunshine Cobb covers all the foundational skills, with lessons for constructing both simple and complex forms from clay.
Ceramic artists will also find a variety of next-level techniques and tips: designing templates and replicating pieces, lidded vessels, using molds, a variety of decorative techniques, and other avenues of exploration are all inside. You will love Sunshine’s pragmatic approach to handbuilding and be inspired to try the many step-by-step projects throughout the book!
You'll learn how to:
- Design templates to make your own unique pieces
- Set up an ergonomic work space and preserve your body with simple stretches
- Easily replicate pieces to make your process efficient
- Get creative with handles and feet
- Make a hump mold out of newspaper
- Coil build a box with an inset flange
- Make a pierced garlic box
- Decorate using a variety of techniques
- and much more!
Artist features and inspirational galleries include work from today’s top working artists, such as Bryan Hopkins, Lindsay Oesterritter, Liz Zlot Summerfield, Bandana Pottery, Shoko Teruyama, Courtney Martin, Sam Chung, Deborah Schwartzkopf, and many more. Take your hand building skills—and your artwork—to the next level with Mastering Hand Building.