Sculpting Medium (SG-501)
Sculpting Medium is a low-fire dimensional glaze that produces a white raised surface. Add structured design elements and texture to your work by combining Sculpting Medium with stencils, lace and stamps.
Cone 06: Produces a white, raised surface.
Cone 6: Semi-Transparent. Medium glosses and turns.
For use with a stencil, hold a stencil onto your piece and brush Sculpting Medium over the stencil. Allow the Medium to set up a bit (until the wet look is gone) and then remove the stencil.
- Sculpting Medium is sensitive to thicker applications. Creating a layer 1/8” may result in splits or cracks appearing in the fired surface. This may be an effect you intentionally wish to achieve; if not, keep the thickness below 1/8”.
- Quick drying means design integrity is maximized.
- Base glaze properties can impact your final surface. Applied over a moving glaze will cause the Sculpting Medium design to move and separate.
- After removing tools such as stencils or lace sharp, jagged edges may form. A moistened fan brush can be used to smooth these rough edges. You can also apply a glaze over the design to help smooth sharp effects.
- Sculpting Medium will shrink slightly over glaze. Needs to be fired at cone 05/06, otherwise the sculpting medium will gloss and soften the edges.
- Can be applied in a painterly fashion using brushstrokes or squeezed through a writer tip.
- Non-Toxic, Food Safe. Recommended for ornamental use only.