Clay Mender 2oz
Clay Mender is an "enhanced slip" that is intended to be used to repair and/or add attachments to greenware or bisque. More than ordinary slip, the enhanced formula creates a stronger bond for repairs and attachments. It can be used on bisque to join two pieces together, but is primarily for greenware use.
Comes in a 2oz squeeze bottle.
- Scoring the location where an attachment will be placed will strengthen the bond. Use a needle tool, toothpick, etc. to score the surface.
- Apply one light coat of AC-306 to both pieces.
- Apply a generous coat of AC-306 and immediately and firmly press the pieces together, holding them into place for 10-20 seconds until they become affixed.
- Let the area dry. After drying, the areas can then be sanded and smoothed to prepare for decoration.
- A top dressing of an underglaze may be needed. Clay Mender sometimes will show a slightly different color than the clay being used. There are times when the glaze will not readily adhere to the mended area and the top dressing of an underglaze will overcome this problem.
- If there is an area that did not fill in completely with Clay Mender, an additional application may be necessary.
- For larger cracks/repair areas: thicken Clay Mender with a little clay to create a spackle-like paste.
- For holes: thicken Clay Mender as above. Fill in the area slowly and let it dry. Repeat until the area is filled and level with the surrounding areas. A piece of cardboard can be used to support the back of the missing area while you work.
- Hairline cracks can be difficult to repair. It helps to widen the crack and then fill this area with the Clay Mender, thus bonding the gap.